Sunday, July 28, 2019

How do I choose a book to read for system design?

July 28, 2019

Introduction


It is my personal story I like to share. I knew Desmond Zhou working in Amazon long time, in June 2018 I asked him for advice for Amazon onsite interview, private coaching, he did not give any important advice. What is next?

A book to read


I attended Vancouver 9 cat tech event. Desmond Zhou gave out a talk about his career and advice. I showed up in the meetup, and asked advice.

More detail, I planned to attend the event, and I told the organizer that I will bring some fruit, snack and fruit juice from Costco.

I found out that I had terrible allergy second year again, my eye was so itching and I found out that it was the first time I am crying and screaming inside the car, outside the Costco. I decided to get into the Costco as soon as possible, purchase antihistamine pill and took 2 pills right away. I was worrying about how I can drive since my eye was so itching.

After the presentation, I asked Desmond Zhou for advice. He said that it is a very good book to read called Designing Data-intensive applications. That is around March, 2019.


Another recommendation


Later I met a young graduate Bhavya who worked at Visa in Singapore on interviewing.io as an interviewer, I connected to her on Linkedin.com. She also gave out recommendation for the book on linkedin three months ago. This month she joined Google in Singapore.

First chapter


I spent over two hours to read the first chapter last week. I like the writing and also tell myself to calm down, understand some basics first.

References


My wechat conversation log





No comments:

Post a Comment