Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Amazon layoffs | Seattle

Linkedin.com | Danny Favela | Jan. 18, 2023 | Layoff | Post written and shared | https://www.linkedin.com/in/dannyfavela/

This morning, I received an email from Beth Galetti that read "Today, we are taking the very difficult step of reducing roles across several of our businesses. Unfortunately, your role has been eliminated." That means I'm part of the Amazon layoffs.


Amazon has been a fun place to work with amazing people. The sad thing was not knowing ahead of time: I couldn't prepare for the departure with my now-former coworkers. This post is a little attempt at that though you and many others deserve so much more.

Aaron Fernandes - I wouldn't be here if you hadn't brought me in. From my Mexican-American perspective, your hire was a natural execution of what most diversity efforts strive for; I appreciate that you recruited this frontend-proficient homie from LA. Thank you!
Ashish Sharma - Managers are told that their success is directly tied to the success of their team. You were the main pillar of my success at Amazon. Our teams could not have done as much as they did without you. Thank you, Ashish.
Jake Carr - Jake, I have too many positive adjectives for you and the way you impacted me and my teams. I'll summarize it as: you are an exemplary and inspiring tech role model. Thank you for enabling, encouraging, empowering, growing, and truly caring about me and my teams.
Rhea Goel - If you have a chance, check out the pleasant movie: Anne of Green Gables. Then know you are a lifelong "kindred spirit". I'm so happy remembering when you, Ashish, and I kicked off the original Sable Efficiency team. I'm in awe of where it all led, what you've done, and what you are yet to do.
Robert Blasum - When I joined in 2016, your FDT OP1 document was the best introduction to Amazon writing. Referred to it many times but I don't remember thanking you. Thanks!

... And that's just from year 1. I have so many more people that I need to connect to. If you see this post and you know you're one of those cherished colleagues, please connect or reach out immediately! I'll follow up as layoff activities allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment