Monday, September 2, 2019

Designing Data Intensive Applications by Martin Kleppmann - Book review from a Google manager

Sept. 2, 2019

Introduction


It is a challenging job to read the book, I already spent over 10 hours to read the book; I start to learn different ways to read the book. One of ideas is to read the book first, and then find some video on youtube.com and spend one hour to learn more from presentation. I just could not believe that the book can be a very good textbook as well.

Book review from a Google manager


I like to share the book review from a Google manager. I just came cross his post this afternoon. It is so interesting to come cross the post.

Here is the article. I just copy the book review from the article.


This book is helping me to build connections between various patches of knowledge I had about distributed applications, approaches and latest trends in the way I never thought was possible. It's almost like, without this book I had the pieces scattered all over the place, most of them missing, now I have an index I can re-read and reference. For algorithms I already had "The Algorithm Design Manual" by Steven S. Skiena, and now this book is my manual for system design."

Designing Data Intensive Applications" gives concise vocabulary to talk about storage and retrieval models, encoding formats, replication and sharding. It connects the world of traditional relational databases, ACID and leader-follower replication to the modern approaches of non-relational and leaderless, provides a language to reason about tradeoffs way beyond "the unhelpful CAP theorem", as it calls it.

Overall I know that if I manage to remember the key concepts covering at least a third of the material in this book, I'll save myself and others countless hours at design discussions.

Book review from Alex B.




No comments:

Post a Comment