Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Ivan Heneghan | 6 years, 6 lessons at Meta | 2014 - 2019

Director, Sales Development Strategy & Operations @ Workday | Facebook, Instagram, Google alum | Intrapreneur | Motivational speaker.

Linkedin post is here 

This was me exactly 4 years ago, as I left Facebook after 6.5 years - joining as employee #30 in Ireland, leaving as one of almost 2,000.


6 years, 6 lessons:

1. Done is better than perfect. I tried to preempt every possible scenario for my work, and slowed things down. Execute and iterate.

2. Take educated risks. I believed one of my teams needed to do something very different and I pushed for it, layering data on belief. What my team and I introduced, despite being shouted down from all sides, changed things for the better.

3. "That's how we've always done it" will kill a company.

4. If you find it, you fix it. Nothing is someone else's job, or task, or problem.

5. Have an impact. Your job title and level mean nothing. Focus on impact - that's what will resonate throughout your career and get you into the roles you want to be in.

6. None of it matters. I had a brain haemorrhage while in Facebook, and mostly recovered. I left Facebook, and the working world. I went to the Arctic and stayed in deserts. I tried to figure out how to be happier, and succeeded. I panicked about being out of the working world, but stuck to my guns. And I'm now in the role I love the most in my career so far. Being as happy as you can be, and being kind, is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment