Sunday, January 14, 2018

10 things to remember

January 14, 2018


Introduction


It is a busy weekend with nine mock interviews. I met very good programmers in the world, and I cannot believe that I meet so many talented programmers in such a short time period, 48 hours.

I miss the swimming pool, crystal mall shopping, walk in metro town mall, or catch some Netflix movies, I miss those weekends I spend time do other things. I was staying in the home almost all the time, I did this very often when I play hackerrank contests and try to solve medium level up algorithms from June 2016 to Sept 2017.

As a software programmer, full time eight years, this is the first time I learn that it is my job to do something, learn to get connected to other programmers. Reach out to other programmers, in person, talk face to face, and get help and encourage each other to solve data structure and algorithm problems.

There are so many software engineers in the world. I cannot meet a lot of them, nine mock interviews a weekend, that is a lot. It is like intensive training, how to be an interviewer, and I also have to write 9 algorithms a  weekend, that is a lot of writing.

10 things to remember


Here is the easy thing for me to do to end this weekend with something easy and relax. Remember the article on quora, the link is here.

It is true that those 10 things can apply everywhere, not just in mock interview, interview. It can apply to normal daily work. No one has the responsibility to train you.

You have to get those training by yourself. I am glad that I have over 100 mock interview experience, now it is around 150 mock interview experience.


1. The single biggest good engineers fail the technical interviews is because they lack the ability to showcase how they came to their solution.

One step a time. Provide facts, good arguments, and also show some reasoning.

2. Your logic wasn't actually logical.

Try to related to very simple well defined problem if possible.

3. You didn't gather requirements or ask clarification questions.

Gather requirement and clarify the question, please!

4. You think you solved the problem but you actually didn't even answer the question.

Answer the question. 

5. You forgot to consider important things like monitoring or you code isn't production ready.

Code should be production ready.

6. You took too long or too many hints.

Accomplish something. Try to solve problem at work also using limited time, 30 minutes a time. 10 minutes analysis, 20 minutes coding.

7. Lastly, your work style just doesn't fit the culture.

People skills. Always stay positive, give people good encouragement first; and then ask permission to give some feedback. 

8. The technical breadth and depth of which you went into, simply didn't meet the expectation of the level you might be interviewing for.

9. You didn't optimize for simplicity.

10. You couldn't deal with constraints and variables.

No comments:

Post a Comment