Sunday, May 24, 2020

TFSA: Why I was afraid to invest $40,000 dollars into OVV.TO after 90% loss starting from March 27, 2020

May 24, 2020

Introduction


It takes wisdom and courage to build wealth and grow rich. I work very hard to learn personal finance, and then move my fund back to stock market in my TFSA account; I never think about investing $40,000 dollars in MY TFSA account into OVV.TO stock starting from March 27, 2020 after three circuit break, 90% stock loss of value, instead I just purchased 100 share at price $3.70 dollars, and nothing afterward in 2 months. Now the price went up more than 200%. I like to write a short research why I am afraid to take risk. 

A short research


First of all, I have never thought about purchase of any oil stock. I have to live in Canada 10 years, I never think about investing on Canada oil stocks. I do not know the industry very well.

I like to put together 10 things I miss in 12 month training and study from May 2019 to March 2020.


  1. I never do any day trading and just stay as a long term investor. This is wrong for getting experience, learn and research how day trading works; 
  2. I need to simulate stock market bear market crash, and then learn how to develop good sound judgement on investment from gambling;
  3. How to tolerate calculated risk of speculating? Coronavirus and whole thing, I should spend time to think about more carefully;
  4. I need to train myself with more drills in stock market. 
  5. I should think big, and take high risk bet since I have to get used to live frugal life. 
  6. High risk and high return, I should give it a try. I need to trust my instinct and my research. 
Yahoo finance -> My portfolio -> My holdings

Questrade.com - positions



Actionable Items

Fear and greed is two biggest topic as an investor on stock market. I like to explore more carefully based on my Christian belief, math education, talent programming experience. I like to document the journey, and learn the knowledge is power. I need to learn how to turn the knowledge to my wealth. 

Also I have Ameritrade.com key largo portfolio. I should also take some risk to purchase OVV stock in US stock market as well.

It is hard for me to save $75,000 Canadian dollars, and it takes me 10 years to save them. I am 53 year old. So I have to be careful as an investor.


May 24, 2020

I was too happy to see $5000 dollar recovery in less than a week on March 27,2020. I still had $4000 dollar loss, so I had some VAB.TO bond and then I like to celebrate the recovery, and I remembered the article I read with huge loss, so I went through the list, found 5 Canadian stocks to purchase.

What I should think about is the return. The downside risk is very small, and think about more carefully about 90% loss, if it goes back to half, then it is already 500%. When I can expect the opportunity to happen, this is rare for oil industry, a business with 30 billion dollars capital in the market. Big drop in less than two weeks.

Be prepared to the opportunity. One of 200,000 dollars opportunity with 10 years savings 40,000 Canadian dollars, with only 500% return in short few months.

June 2, 2020

I did some research and learned that OVV.TO related company was removed from medium capital index fund, and I guessed that would contribute more than 90% loss, since index fund unloaded OVV.TO, and also institutional buyers sold them as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment