Monday, September 4, 2017

Am I biased?

Sept. 4, 2017


Introduction


It is the eighth year I am in the city of Vancouver, through all kinds of events I know most of software companies in downtown of Vancouver, I went to open house and other activities, I have been to  Vision Critical, BuildDirect, Microsoft, Amazon, Unbounce, the name goes on. But today it is the first time I spent over 30 minutes to do a research on autotrader.ca through linkedin. The only reason I had my research for the long weekend is that I saw one of my friends to wear Vancouver Sun Run T-shirt with company logo - Autotrader.ca.

So, my research of 20 minutes is that am I biased on the research of local industry?


Research on Linkedin


I have to admit that Linkedin is a really great place to do some research on career movement, how people advance their career, share their interest related to the technology, how they get their great strength from formal/ informal education.

A list of people I look into for my small research this long weekend is here, those people I had met in Florida, New York area, some of them I have not yet met.

I did a lot of study on tennis players this morning. Specially I watched the interview "I'm proud. I did my best" after Sharapova stopped on her fourth round in US open 2017. But it is also very interesting to know how my linkedin circle people move around and I try to figure out something.

Two people I knew moved to Google recently, tracy and ying.

First, I have to spend 10  minutes to study the website http://www.autotrader.ca/.

Plan to study product management of the company, study one profile here.

Plan to study technologies used for the website, study one of managers' profile here.


Actionable Items


I do not plan to do the research on autotrader.ca this morning, I was thinking to work on sponsor application paper work instead, and I actually did spend over one hours to study tennis players for top 8 players, and also did study the algorithm Leetcode 230 for one hour. All those activites ended around 11:00 am.




No comments:

Post a Comment