Sunday, September 3, 2017

Being an interviewer: Find largest smaller binary search tree key

September 3, 2017

Introduction


It is the great learning experience to watch a 2nd undergraduate student to perform the algorithm. The peer did very well on the analysis, but the execution of the algorithm is kind of weak. I need to step in and ask a good question about the iterative solution.

Evaluation 


This is the first time I show my evaluation as an interviewer. It is such a great activity that I meet a new person and also help the peer to learn an algorithm.

I still remembered that back to 2006 I applied the instructor job in united states, I was afraid to write and speak out, and I did send out over 20 applications.

Now it is so natural to watch how an undergraduate learns the algorithm through various channels outside the university. And I am glad to be part of the process.

I like to learn an algorithm similar to Leetcode 230: Kth smallest element in BST. Also I like to build experience around the algorithm with great reward experience to be part of mocking interview.

Here is the review I got after the mocking interview:


Actionable Item



After the mocking interview, I felt that the peer is not very competitive player. But I learned through his analysis, his calmness and his idea to continue to search right node for bigger value in order to get largest one is very clear and correct. 

I felt pressured that second year undergraduate student will master the algorithm in such a quick pace, how I should do in order to compete? Just be their friends. 

Next time I should copy the peer's code, and analyze the code later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment