Sunday, March 31, 2019

Slow to adapt frugality

March 31, 2019

Introduction


It is hard for me to learn to be frugal. I still remembered last Friday we went out for Jenny's last day lunch. I tried to order $3.5 two small pieces desert. "I want to be a frugal person", this is the first time I said that in the party with coworkers.

Open house visit


I also spend a few hours today to visit open house in Surrey near Guildford mall. And this is the first time I thought about frugality. Why do I need to spend my last 10 years savings for a down payment. How can I make a living with over $200,000 debt without any saving left?

I thought about the home costs over $270,000 US dollars for just one bedroom. I prefer to rent and also live closely with others. I should not feel ashamed about living condition. I work hard and that is the best I can get. I still remembered that  I cried when I thought about my finance situation. I should not cry, I make a living and work full time.

I just choose to be happy and then continue to learn other things. I do believe that I have more challenging things to do compared to put myself in a debt. The price is too high and the commute is not practical. Renting business is tough and risky.

I saved $50,000 Canadian dollars in Canada banks working full time last 9 years, I did not learn how to invest on Vanguard total market index fund and then have any capital gain over $30,000 dollars.

The one bedroom owner in 149 st. purchased $160,000 dollars one bedroom in 2016, and started last Sept. to April 2019 to sell from $290,000 dollars, and now lowered to $277,000 dollars.

I do not need to worry about too much owing a home. It is too risky for me, since my asset in Canada is too little to be a home owner. Now the price is so inflated.

Compared to the seller, I learned hard lesson to save those $50,000 Canada dollars. I had to purchase a used car, and replaced the flat tire by myself, and also cut all my expenses from 2017, only food and no other shopping. I have lived in a small room last 10 years.

Actionable Items


It is my thinking process I have to work on. I have to be able to make decision based on frugality principle.

Follow up
Oct. 21, 2020
I just could not believe that I wrote the blog and it brought down my tears. I just could not believe that I have critical thinking and did not go for those inflated condo in the city of Surrey. Now the price went down, and it should go down more. 

Life is tough for an immigrant in Canada. But I do learn things from a stable job, and I think taking more risk in stock market, and focus on long term investment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment