Saturday, May 4, 2019

Why it is so hard to pass Microsoft online code assessment?

May 4, 2019

Introduction


It is my short research topic. I worked on Leetcode, hackerrank starting from 2015 January, I did take 4 Microsoft online assessment from 2016 to 2019, one for each year. This year it is the first time I can pass online assessment. Why it is so hard?


Case study


I did start to work on Leetcode algorithm; In June 2018, I prepared to Amazon onsite in Seattle. I hired a coach who worked in Microsoft intern in Beijing. He told me that I should work on Leetcode easy level algorithms. My coaching sessions are here.

I started to work on Leetcode easy level algorithm. I failed the phone screen from Facebook at the end of July 2018. I spent another 3 months to finish all 200 easy level algorithms.

I also wrote a code assessment in 2018 from Microsoft. But I stumbled on infix expression using stack. My data structure skill is questionable. I wrote a discussion post on stackexchange.com, here is the link.

I took Amazon online assessment in March 2019, but I could not pass the test. I was nervous on second algorithm, even though I worked on the algorithm over 5 times at least on hackerrank.com from 2016 to 2017, and a few times in 2018 and so many peers on mock interview platform. There is another skill to write algorithm on assessment.

I asked a few times on interviewing.io using the same algorithm. I learned from a few candidates and watch and learn how to write a solution from scratch. Young generation with super talent likes to write everything from scratch, and he does not need to copy and paste the code; everything is his head; Just simple while loop and a few explanations. I wrote one blog here saying that I learn first how to write. Here is the case study on union find algorithm 947 remove stones.

I passed one online assessment in 2017, but no more assessment in 2018 from Amazon, 2018 phone screen I passed and then onsite, 2019 I failed Amazon online code assessment.

So I was so surprised to get contacted by Microsoft recruiter again, I started to prepare April Microsoft online assessment. I know that I have to push myself to get used to new algorithms and came out the optimal solution in one hour setting. Otherwise it will not work.

I already solved 395 algorithms on Leetcode.com. I also played over 30 weekly contest and then started to practice mock interviews on Leetcode.com. Here are my celebration blogs on Leetcode algorithms.

I had 48 hours to work on the assessment once I got the link, but I took extra day last long weekend. I did practice 4 days and worked on 50 algorithms, and then I stumbled on a few algorithms. I wrote down my experience very carefully. I know that the weakness is something I should work on next.

How I pass Microsoft online assessment?


I passed the online assessment first time in my life this April. I learn to be humble, and keep learning and practice.

If I have time, I like to write more about algorithm practice and share on Leetcode.com.

I put together a github page called online assessment preparation




No comments:

Post a Comment