Saturday, July 21, 2018

Talk is cheap, show me the code

July 21, 2018

Introduction


Talk is cheap, show me the code. This is a famous verse from Linus Torvalds. My ex-coach used to tell me that in one of coaching sessions. I like the verse but it is hard to practice on it.

It is my decision to cut down the mock interview and work on more coding on easy level algorithms. I notice that I should cut any mock interview to 45 minutes at most, so I have more time to write code.

In order to train myself in terms of algorithm and data structure, I think that good thinking is important, and I can learn from each individual and pick up soft skills through mock interview. But most of important is to train myself to understand the problem, write code in less than 20 minutes.

Stack practice


I have worked on my current job last eight years. But I have not solved algorithms using stack data structure over 20 times. I need more practice on stack data structure in order to be a better programmer. My last stack data structure practice took me more than 8 hours, I need to get more familiar with the data structure.

I learn from over hundred of mock interview, when I work with so many peers on binary tree, and learn so many ideas to work on binary tree. I continuously work on tree every day for a few months, it is becoming my daily life. I am so happy to work on binary tree related algorithm.


Be disciplined


It is so easy to get hooked on facebook messag app or wechat app. I still think that a good programmer should be able to communicate clearly.

I choose not to use those apps for chatting. I like to write more code. Also I like to be independent and do not need extra information through social chat.


Actionable Item


Be careful, do not waste time on inefficient mock interviews. I need to cut down the time to discussion and work on more coding, work independently.

Facts


45  minutes for an algorithm mock interview is enough. Usually two algorithms are allowed for 60 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment