Monday, May 21, 2018

Good programmer needs friends

May 21, 2018

Introduction


I could not believe that I got contacted by a few friends I made over mock interview practice last 12 months this long weekend. The work they did for me are touching my heart.

I am more open and confident. I first purchased my video course on udemy.com and also I purchased grokking system design interview course.

I still remembered that one of UCLA students gave me mock interview comment, stubborn, do not take hint less than six months ago. I worked on the algorithm called Largest smaller key in BST. 


Most challenge work 


Today I also like to write down for a small research topic called most challenge work I have done. If it is not challenge enough, I will find another one. I will try a few times until it is really challenge one. 

I had a holiday break today, and then I invited my friend to chat with me. I was trying to relax and have some reading work to do before I work on my home work from my coach. I did not do very well on my last mock interview, I practiced over ten times on word count engine algorithm. The coach gave me similar question, but he likes me to show very good coding as well with optimal space complexity. 

I do believe there are a lot of benefit to join one community or another one in order to help to build a good career in software industry. But I do think there is something missing in normal business practice. I also try to experience and tell that. Do your current job very well. Make your current employer happy. 

Counter argument is that if you can get a job with double salary why you choose to work on the less one. But in reality, only less than six percent will be selected after phone screen and onsite screening. Most of us are still working on daily job as usual. 

Another thing is how to embrace the hard work. I do see my weakness to solve simple and medium algorithm, since I like to solve advanced ones or hard level on Hackerrank, I notice that it is easy to get excited and continuously try to solve one, 10 hours to solve one algorithm scoring one with score zero. No complaint and also I was so happy to have pushed myself so hard on submitting all kinds of ideas against online judge of Hackerrank. 

I have worked with my coach last past week, I understood that he must have put hundreds of hours to complete Leetcode over 600 algorithms. I could not do it for all kinds of reason. I also like to get reality what weakness I have once a while. 


Try to answer this way



My most challenge work I like to do is to make my current job very easy and relax. 

It is not easy for several reasons right now. I have to learn so many things but I like to get good at foundations which are computer science data structure and algorithm.



Find best coach 


I practice so many mock interviews and meet a lot of people. One day I was so amazed that the peer performed so well since I could not fail him after I gave more than four algorithms. After more than 90 minutes talk, I knew that I may find a coach for myself.  


After more than four months, I contacted the graduate student and ask his help to be a coach and hitting partner to practice algorithm and data structure. The coach has practice over 600 Leetcode algorithms. 


Work with the coach


It is not easy to work with the coach and come out the good result in three weeks short time. We have to work together enough time before we can trust the coach and player relationship will work very well.


Why it is most challenge work? 


First I have to understand why I need a coach. I learn it from tennis sports last few years. 

By observing how professional tennis players prepare for China open in Beijing, I learn how professional tennis players develop relationship with each other and also with coaches and hitting partner, personal assistants. 

I need a coach this time for three weeks preparation. Why I need a coach? I try to get more educated and well-prepared. I like to beat the odds against 80% with more dedicated training. 

My coach can help me think about more in terms of algorithm and data structure. And I like to find out my weakness and learn something from the coach's experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment