Saturday, May 26, 2018

Hire and Develop the Best

May 26, 2018

Introduction


It is important that I have a friend who checks with me daily about my progress about leadership principle study. We have short chats through Facebook messengers. We started to chat more about leadership since I started to work with my coach. The friend used to be my hitting partner to work together on algorithm a few times. 

Hire and Develop the Best
Leaders raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion. They recognize exceptional talent, and willingly move them throughout the organization. Leaders develop leaders and take seriously their role in coaching others. We work on behalf of our people to invent mechanisms for development like Career Choice.


Understand the leadership principle first


Let us go over terms in the principle. 

raise the performance bar
every hire and promotion

recognize exceptional talent

exceptional talent -> how to recognize, how to measure exceptional? talent? what talent? basic talent or special talent. 

Leader move them throughout the organization. 

Organization -> business -> what kind of management in the business? 

Leaders vs coaches -> coaching others -> what motivations stay behind? 

on behalf of our people to invent mechanisms for development like career choice. 

It is hard to relate to my own practice. 

Please list a few mechanisms for development like career choice. Career choice, what other options do we have besides career choice.

Relate to my personal story


I hired best coach for my data structure and algorithm since May 12, 2018. I start to build some experience to have a good coach.



Follow up 


Oct. 18, 2019

Back in May 2018, I decided to hire a personal coach from one of top performers I met through pramp.com. I practiced over 300 times, and then one of players has super performance. He was a graduate student in Tsinghua university. So I decided to ask his help to prepare onsite interview from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment