Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Ready for a new week

Feb. 6, 2018


Introduction


It is so exciting to change my goal for my algorithm and data structure practice. I start to learn from the mock interviews, and try to find things to help me to be a better person as well.

I had 12 mock interview from last Friday to last Sunday.

Practice highlights


I tried to teach a dynamic programming solution in mock interview and got some good feedback from the peer. Learning is so much fun and I also had chance to learn how a young graduate learns to handle a difficult dynamic programming solution.

I struggled on word count practice and actually I wrote i++ instead of i-- on line 33, and it took me more than 5 minutes but I could not spot the error. The peer is a computer science PH.D. student and he told me that if the index-out-of-range, you not need to check the pointer null. So reasoning is something I have to work on to narrow down the possibilities.

Through the practice I learn that it may be a good idea to build a habit to write a loop in ascending order and then change the inside statement of for loop instead. After mock interview, I tried to compare with my last successful practice and then identify the issue. Programmer time is no longer valuable if I have to spend time to find those trivial error since I need more strong analysis skills and also willing to apply to the bug fix.

I also observed an experienced programmer and learned how he troubleshooted his code and fixed bugs in less than 5 minutes on this binary search algorithm.

I also wrote a sorting algorithm and then noticed that the API should not be called swap two index's value, instead it should be called moveFromOneToAnother. The practice is here.

I also had chance to learn from the peer who has more than three years pythons experience. She showed me how good she can solve the binary search algorithm in this practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment