Saturday, December 8, 2018

Case study: a $1800 Sony laptop purchase in 2002

Dec. 8, 2018

Introduction


It is hard for me to reexamine myself since I may be a financial irresponsible person. I had net income over $100,000 from 1999 to 2001, but I had nothing left in 2010, I had to borrow money from home equity line. I did purchase a most expensive laptop in my life and it costed me over $1500 dollars, 12 months interest free in 2001. I like to do a case study on this laptop purchase and how I handled it. I like to analyze my behavior and figure out how to fix the problem.

Case study


It is so tough for me to reexamine my behavior as a consumer. I had a friend who reminded me that I had a laptop in his house in 2014. I did not try to sell it in 2010 when I left Florida and immigrate to Canada. I purchased second laptop in 2003 or 2004 around $500.00 dollars, but I did not choose to sell the expensive one SONY one just after the purchase in 2003. I could not find the receipt, but I did find my SONY laptop receipt.

I still remembered that the first day I went to Motorola in the city of Plantation as an intern in 2001, I took my laptop with me.

I only used the laptop to write one coding assignment for graduate algorithm courses. Most of time I did not write code using my laptop.

This is the impulsive shopping. I did not choose cheap one with discount, waited until on sale. I chose most expensive one on the market and put it on 12 monthly interest free. After the purchase, I did not do follow up to make sure that the laptop was still in good quality, I should continue to use instead of purchasing a new one, cheap one. The series of behaviors I found out are not acceptable for me to review and audit today.

After I came to Canada, my Florida friend asked me to send a photo we took in the Miami to her. I asked my friend in Florida to login the laptop and then found the photo.

Super expensive one


Here is my copy of receipt. I like to document my mistake and then remind myself to be a humble person, and never purchase full retail price of a merchandise.



Actionable Items


It is very important for me to learn and start to document all purchases. I should reduce the risk of waste. Always I should think about purchase of cheap one or used one. I also have to learn to follow up with review, how I use them or do I need to sell them.

Do some research how to celebrate the life event without big purchase like this SONY laptop.







No comments:

Post a Comment