Saturday, September 1, 2018

Learn frugality leadership principle

Sept. 1, 2018

Introduction


It is my short research topic today since it is a long weekend, Canada labor long weekend. It is called learn frugality leadership principle.

I had the full time position as a software engineer from 1998 December to 2000 September in Florida USA. I like to write down financial lessons I learned.

I like to write down some stories in year 2000 and 2001, and how I learn from my own experience. The frugality leadership principle can change a person's life.

From USA to Canada 


I immigrated from United States to Canada as a Chinese citizen. I spent 14 years in United States from August 1996 to April 2010.

Take some calculated risk.

I have to work  hard in Canada in order to settle down, after more than eight years in Canada, I learn that I have to continuously work hard, and also need to catch up on personal finance research.


My mistakes of purchase decisions 


I like to write a series of purchases I made through year 2000 to 2001, and I could not believe that I was the person who does not think about frugality and believe that frugality can breed resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and invention.

Back to 1999 in United States, the home loan's interest is 7.125% when I purchased my first home in Florida. After I purchased the first home in Florida with less than $10,000 down payment. I made my only purchase home from 1999 to 2018. I just could not believe that I did the purchase.

But after that, I just made a series of mistakes in purchase decisions.

In 1999, I purchased a car with Ford credit 0.9% interest, brand new car over $18,000 dollars with less than $3000 dollar down payment. 

In 2000, just after the purchase the home, I bought leather sofa $2000 dollars with one year zero interest loan in 2000.

In 2000, I chose not to rent out the extra bedroom over a year, the normal rent fee is around $300 us dollar in the year of 2000. I paid loan interest every year 7.125% interest rate over $25,000 us dollar loan. Every month the interest is around $200 us dollars.

In 2000, I spent over $5000 us dollar for a trip to China to visit my mom. It is almost the price of a home with 500 square foot in the city of Yichun, the price at that time is less than 600 RMB/square meters. 

In 2001, I bought a laptop over $1500 dollars zero interest finance for a year from bestbuy.com.

I list so many purchases without careful consideration of consequences, I really like to learn from my mistakes.

To live healthy and happy, I do not not need so many material stuff, expensive international trip.

Being naive and young, I wasted all those money and resource, I like to write down and share with young generation who likes to pursuit software programmer careers. The better you are in finance situation, less stress, you will be better to handle your career, more freedom to pursuit your goal. 

It is time for me to study Amazon leadership principle Frugality again.

Frugality

Accomplish more with less. Constraints breed resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and invention. There are no extra points for growing headcount, budget size or fixed expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment